In 2016 a community development plan was prepared for Cloghane and Brandon on behalf of Comharchumann Forbartha an Leith Triúigh Teo. (CFLT). The plan was prepared by O’Leary & Associates Training & Consultancy who have also been commissioned to prepare this business plan. A key recommendation within the 5-year plan was to investigate the development of a multi-purpose facility on the Údarás na Gaeltachta site in Cloghane. This site had been approved for planning as an Enterprise Unit several years before the plan. The planning had lapsed by 2016. The site remains in the ownership of Údarás na Gaeltachta.
In September 2015, Explore More Outdoors Ltd. prepared a preliminary report on the potential to develop a Mount Brandon base camp in Cloghane. A Summary of the aims and project actions are provided here:
Aim of project:
- To develop a centre of excellence for walking, hillwalking and other mountain pursuits in the Cloghane/Brandon area to retain existing
walkers and to attract new ones there, expecting that a percentage will require accommodation, food & refreshments and entertainment while they are there.
- To provide employment for 5-6 local people as guides/facilitators.
- To help put the North side of the Dingle Peninsula (Muintir an Leith Triúigh) on the “Go To” map.
Project Key Objectives:
- To attract new walkers to the area (domestic & international).
- To encourage walkers to stay longer and to return to the area.
- To support access to walking in the area for family groups.
- To encourage users of the Wild Atlantic Way to stay.
- To encourage walkers on the Dingle Way to spend some more time in the area.
To find out more about this project, please follow the link Draft Brandon Base Camp Business Plan July 2019