Scríobh scéal Crom Dubh!
Crom Dubh has a rich folklore in Cloghane – Brandon. This year Féile Lughnasa will be celebrating Crom Dubh by hosting a writing competition, see details below, Mícheal O Ruairc will give a talk on the Legend and a new sculpture of Crom Dubh (by MaryJLeenart.com) will be erected in the community. Do you know where it was resident before it disappeared almost 25 years ago?. Watch this video for exact spot. Let us know where you would like it to go at email@example.com
Comórtas Scríbhneoireachta /Writing Competition
The Crom Dubh Theme writing competition is limited to 1500 words, the story must begin with the one of the below line;
- “Anois a fheicfimid cé againn a bhuafaidh an choimhlint seo!” arsa Crom Dubh le Naomh Bréanainn ar Dhomhnach Crom Dubh sa Chlochán.
Now we’ll see which one is going to win this conflict!” said Crom Dubh to St Brendan on Pattern Sunday in Cloghane.
- Bhí ráfla ag dul thart go raibh fear mór dorcha cromshlinneánach ag fanacht i dteach ar cíos sa Chlochán.
There was a rumour that a big dark man with a stoop was staying in a rented house in Cloghane.
- “Is mise Crom Dubh,” arsa an strainséir, “agus táim tagtha thar n-ais chun Féile Lúghnasa a cheiliúradh.”
“I’m Crom Dubh,” said the stranger, “and I’ve returned to celebrate the Festival of Lúnasa.”
- D’fhéach an neach cromtha a bhí leathcheilte orm lena shúil fhiata agus ba bheag nár thit mé i bhfanntais.
The stooped figure emerging out of the shadows glared at me and I almost fainted.
- ”Táim anseo agus ní bheidh mé imeacht arís,” d’fhógair Crom Dubh agus shuigh ar chathaoir istigh i Halla le Chéile.“I’m here to stay,” announced Crom Dubh sitting down on a chair in Halla le Chéile.
- ”Iontach bualadh leat arís,” arsa Crom Dubh go searbhasach agus é ag ardú gloine do Naomh Bréanainn istigh in O’Connor’s Bar & Guesthouse sa Chlochán.“Great meeting with you again,” said Crom Dubh sarcastically as he raised a glass to Saint Brendan in O’Connors Bar & Guesthouse in Cloghane.
This years competition has three categories;
5 years to 13years – Winner will receive a family pass to Dingle’s Oceanworld.
14 years to 18 years- Winner will receive a €40 One for All Voucher
18+Adults – Winner will receive a €50 voucher for O’Connors Bar and Guesthouse
Opening date for the competition is Friday the 15.07.2020 and is open to everything all over the world. Submit your entry by emailing your entry with your name, age and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for competition is Wednesday the 22.07.2020 @ 5pm
The stories and winners of the competitions will be announced on www.cflt.ie and on social media on Thursday 23.07.2020.
To find out more on the Legend that is Crom Dubh and help you with your entry please see the links below.
Here are the entrants
Crom Dubh story – Ella Flynn Special Prize family pass to Dingle’s Oceanworld.
Crom Dubh – Evanne Ní Chéirín Family pass to Dingle’s Oceanworld
The Shadow Lurker -Gene Murphy O’Connors Bar and Guesthouse Voucher
Lugh’s Light by Gearóid Fitzgerald One for All Voucher
Thank You all for submitting your wonderful stories. For those of you who may be inspired by these writers efforts and regret not giving it a try, we will always accept your writing whatever time of year and will post up here if you want.
An added bonus just for your information. Artist, poet and writer Veronica Heywood helps us out with the Féile Lughnasa competitions every year. This year is no exception. She informed us of her book ‘Legendary Landscapes of Ireland’ which she launched last year. She discusses the book and more in this short video. Please try to ignore a little wind interference for a short piece of the video…its not like that all the way through! Hope you enjoy.
How can you support the festival?
Due to the current Covid 19 crisis, Féile Lughnasa have not approached local businesses for sponsorship and there is currently no funding available for festivals. We are asking people to show their support for the festival by
1.Making a donation to the festival via the donate button
2.Or join the Club 500 for €12.50 a month via www.cflt.ie/club500/how-to-become-a-member/
Your support is greatly appreciated and will keep the family fun festival alive.
So what are you waiting for, get writing and celebrate the legend that is Crom Dubh!